I miss Target. When I need something at Cornell or at home, I go to Target. Food? Target. Makeup? Target. Bathing suit? Target. In Santander, however, you go to the Chinese (Los Chinos). Los Chinos run two “bazaars” in town that are pretty much like a Walmart stuffed into a store about the size of your average Radio Shack (maybe a teensy bit bigger...) So far I’ve only picked up a few notebooks and folders at the Bazar Yi Dian Li, but I’m sure I will have many chances to peruse their very densely stacked shelves…
On a similar note, I have no idea where to buy a hairdryer. The other day I was walking around town with los otros americanos and decided to ask someone where I might find one. Sadly, I forgot the word for this elusive object. So, I asked a man who worked at a newspaper stand this question:
“¿Dónde puedo comprar un aparato de pelo?”
-or-
“Where can I buy a hair appliance?”
Of course, this question was met with much confusion on the side of the poor man at the newspaper stand. For a few seconds he just stared at me- eyes wide and mouth hanging open. It was a look you might give someone if they asked you, sincerely, “What planet do I live on?” Finally though (and thankfully!) he directed me towards a store across the street: Bazar Canarias. It had a sign in the Las Vegas style- lots of multicolored blinking lights. This interesting little “tienda” was in the same vein of Los Chinos but only sold various electronics, small appliances, video games, and umbrellas. And they only had one hairdryer- stuffed in the corner looking very shady. Alas, my hair appliance search continues…
No comments:
Post a Comment